The Matrix protocol supports many features that any modern communication system should have. Listed below are just a few of them.
- Instant messaging: Chat one-on-one with another person.
- Group chats: Chat with multiple people at once. Group chats can be public or private.
- Audio and video calls: Make audio and video calls using VoIP technology.
- Searchable message history: Search the complete history of your past conversations.
- Synchronization across devices: Use Matrix from your mobile phones, tablets, and computers. When you switch devices, you're right where you left off in all your conversations.
- Push notifications: Get a notification on your mobile device when you receive a message.
- End-to-end encryption: Keep your conversation private. Instant messages and groups chats can be encrypted from end to end, meaning no one can read the contents of the messages, including the operators of your homeserver and passive surveillance.
- Media sharing: Upload images, videos, documents, and other files to share with others.
- User profiles: Add information about yourself to your account, including an avatar that other people will see when they talk to you.
- Typing notifications: See when someone is typing a message.
- Read receipts: Get confirmation that someone's read your messages.
- Presence notifications: See who is available to chat and who is away from their computer.
Next, read about why Matrix matters.